Thursday, January 15, 2009

Success

I was able to get my Herceptin treatment today and Hayden had physical therapy. The insurance issue is taken care of and we are moving forward.

I won't call this a set back, but more a precaution. Because of the heart issues I've been having as a reaction to the Herceptin, they did cut my dose by 20% today. And instead of another echo, they want me to get a MUGA scan. This is, in simple terms, a scan that can provide moving images of my heart. It allows the doctors to measure the ejection fraction of the left ventricle, which has been lower than normal on the echos. Doctors can visually see what is happening in a very noninvasive manner. I'm all for that. I hate to have to get off this drug, but I also hate to have heart failure. Which is the lesser of 2 evils? Apparently, there are other drugs that I can take instead of the Herceptin, but that's the one I know that really works. I have the MUGA scan on Monday and will hopefully have the results before I see my oncologist next Wednesday. Wish me luck.

The girls are off from school for the next 4 days. Yeah! Sydney is having a sleepover at her friend's house and will go see a movie tomorrow with her. Anna is going to an ice skating party with one of her friends. Now, if I can only find a friend for Hayden, I can be child free for awhile...just kidding! I love spending time with those little munchkins. I'll have to post some pictures again soon. I've slacked off for a few weeks. Maybe this weekend.

No comments: