Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I don't like cancer

This is not a surprise, I just want to reiterate that I hate having cancer. I feel great and want this whole entire ordeal put behind me so my family and I can move on.

I posted earlier that I had a MUGA scan on Monday. I got the results at my oncologist visit today. The results and the visit were not good. The MUGA confirmed that my ejection fraction (EF) was 45%. The echos showed the same thing. What this means is that my heart is being affected by the Herceptin. It isn't pumping enough blood out of my left ventricle. As a result, I am now on a break from treatment for at least the next 6 weeks. I see a cardiologist on Friday. The damage caused is reversible so I'm hoping that with some time and treatment from the cardiologist, I'll be able to resume the Herceptin and finish this thing. Once I do resume, it won't be the same as before. I was going every 3 weeks for 90 minutes. I'll now go every week for 30 minutes. The idea is my heart won't have the huge rollercoaster effect each time I go in.

This wasn't the only bad news. Now, I will have to confirm some of this with my radiation oncologist, but my regular oncologist said that I can't do radiation at the same time as the Herceptin. Since my tumor was on the left side, this is where the radiation will be. It can clip the heart which is already weakened. So, if I do still need radiation, I'll have to wait until I'm done with the Herceptin, which may not be until September or October. I'll have radiation some time after that, then I will have to wait 6 months after that to do reconstruction.

My timeline has changed completely now. I was hoping to be done with all of this by the end of the year. Now it looks like it won't be until year from this summer. Ten months changed to eighteen in a very short visit. And all of this could still change more. I just want to be done.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry. I know how much it helps to think "OK, I have x amount of time left, at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel" and then have the tunnel grow suddenly is crap. :(

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa, ditto what Megan said. Sorry!! HOPEfully, the docs will feel you are done without the need for radiation. We'll keep prayin'.
Love ya lots.
~Heather

aTXmommy said...

Thanks, guys. I can't imagine how people go through these things without knowing when it can be over. It drives me crazy! And yes, I know I am a slight control freak and I just need to let go. I'm working on it. ;)

RivkA with a capital A said...

Hang in there!! At least you know that there is an end!!

People are always asking me how many treatments I have left. It is not easy to explain that I will always be receiving treatments.

It is all about letting go....

(tough for us "type A" folk!)