Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cobra, Radiation and Babies

Today was a busy day. I was at school doing light manual labor this morning. Don't worry, I didn't overdo it. It was nice to be back there and feel a little like me again. Then I was on the phone all day trying to take care of Cobra issues. There were so many issues to deal with. I really hate Cobra but if everything works out it will be worth it. The coverage is so much better than what we will have with Jason's new company. I think I talked to 5 or 6 different people today to get things resolved. While most of them have, I had to move my next Herceptin treatment from tomorrow to later next week. Because of the type of drug it is, it has to be pre-approved to be covered. It is not an inexpensive drug, so I wait.

One of my doctors suggested that I ask that my case be reviewed by the radiation review board. My general surgeon is on the board and my radiation oncologist heads it. My surgeon originally told me he couldn't get my case on the docket for this week, but I'd be on it next week. Well, he called this afternoon and told me it was the last case they discussed today. Yippee! Then he told me that due to the nature of my cancer and the fact that I have responded so well to treatment, there isn't really a clear cut answer to whether I can avoid radiation. So, I'll have another one on one discussion with my radiation oncologist to discuss what to do next. Having already talked to her, I know that I'll probably need to do it. As she put it to me, I should use every tool I have to fight this disease. My cancer has a higher recurrence rate than some other breast cancers, so I need to do everything I can to make sure it doesn't come back. No need to twist my arm.

Lastly, I want to congratulate our dear friends, Lance, Heather and Rowan, on their new addition. Baby AJ arrived yesterday morning and is so cute! Finally, Rowan has her baby brother. And now, Hayden won't be the only boy when we get together. We hope to meet him this spring. Congratulations, guys!

No comments: