Friday, January 23, 2009

The HEART of the Matter

I'm sorry, I know, it's silly. I went to the cardiologist today to discuss this heart issue. I have cardiomyopathy as a result of the Herceptin treatments. I was told it was reversible, but it may not be. It depends on a number of factors. My cardiologist put me on Coreg, a beta-blocker, and Lisinopril, an ACE inhibitor. I'll go back in a couple of weeks to check my blood pressure and then again in 3 months for another echo or MUGA. Dr. Kantis says that I will be on these drugs for the duration of my treatment, but will most likely be on them for life. That's a long time when you are only 35.

The good news is that I should be able to resume treatment once my oncologist says it's okay. It's going to be weird not going to the doctor as often as normal over the next 6 weeks. I have to go in to flush my port before then, but it looks like it will be relatively calm on the medical front for me. This is good I guess. Anna and Sydney start soccer practice in a couple of weeks. Now I'll have the strength to keep up with that. See, there is always something positive to everything.

Today was also report card day. Both girls were High Achievers on their report cards. We are so proud of each of them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Coming over to visit from Mothers With Cancer. I am sorry to hear about your scan and your heart. I have heard this is a common thing during herceptin treatment. I will be keeping you in my prayers.

A bunch of us are over on Facebook. We are able to chat over there and it is a nice way to catch up and get support. Come on over if you like. You can find me easily Sarah Stump Streett. :)