Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Alive!

Well, I survived the surgery. It doesn't always feel like it, though.

Jason and I arrived at the hospital at 6 am on Thursday. I went in around 6:30 to get preped. At 7, Jason came back and we met with the anesthesiologist. He recommended an epidural to help with the pain after surgery. I was all for that! He got started shortly after that. I was up on the table, Jason sitting in front of me and then the worst pain I have felt in a long, long time! I remember crying about how much it hurt. I think I was leaning into the nurse and then nothing. The next thing I remember was being in my room after recovery and Jason was there. I really don't remember much of that either. The anesthesiologist said my reaction was normal and meant that the drugs were working. Both doctors said everything went well. All in all, a success!

Jason and Adriaan have been doing a great job taking care of things around the house. The kids look good too. I'm pleased by how everyone has worked together. It's helped with my healing.

I've got pain meds, anti-nausea meds, and an antibiotic to take for the next week. There are drainage bags that Jason helps me with. I won't get into too much details, but I really feel icky and hate that I have to have Jason help me. He's been wonderful though. He's definitely outside his comfort zone, but is my hero for all he's doing.


The kids have adjusted as well as can be expected. The girls understand they can't hug me, but we have been able to spend a little time together. Hayden is leaving me alone altogether. He seems to know that I'm not able to hold him and be with him the way I did before. It's hard to see him like that, but it's for the best. We had a nice night last night watching A Charlie Brown Christmas. I hope to have more of those as I heal.

No comments: