Saturday, July 12, 2008

Genetic Testing

I completely forgot to post the results of my genetic testing. There are 2 genes, BRCA-1 and BRCA-2, that are inherited alterations of genes that may increase a woman's chance of developing breast and ovarian cancer. These mutated genes are the only 2 that are known at this time, I believe, yet doctors know there are others.

Though I have no immediate family history of breast cancer, I am young to have it and it is aggressive. My doctors strongly encouraged me to be tested. I didn't think twice about it. It takes about 3 weeks to get the results. On June 10th I went in to get me results and finally had one great medical report to put in my folder. I was negative for both genes! Now, this doesn't mean I am free and clear. I could still have one of the unidentified genes, but I'm not too worried about that.

Had I tested positive, I would have been encouraged to have a double mastectomy as well as remove my ovaries. My doctor doesn't think I need to take such radical steps at this time. I still can choose to do that and I've meet some women who did because they didn't want to risk a recurrence. I haven't decided yet how far I'm going to go with my surgery in the fall. I still need to consult with my surgeons. I do have time before I need to make that decision, though.

No comments: