Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Summer is Gone!

WOW! Were did the summer go? I can't believe it's been 2 months since I last posted. It just doesn't feel like it.


Well, the Doornik family has been doing pretty good since June. We took another enjoyable trip to Dallas to visit friends for the 4th of July. The kids got to shoot fireworks, something we can't do here. There is something to be said about living outside of city limits in an unincorporated area. Anna and Sydney also did a week at the YMCA camp. They had a fun time and wanted to do another week, but we didn't have time to do one. We'll try to fit more in next summer. The set up there is really cool for little campers.


Our last little trip was to San Antonio a couple of weeks ago. If you haven't seen the weather in our neck of the woods, it's been HOT! Like 100+, 110+ heat index. Yuck. Of course, the best thing to do is go to San Antonio, TX and visit outside attractions each day. Not our best planning, but Jason and I promised the kids we'd go to Sea World this summer so off we went. Our first stop was the Alamo and River Walk. We didn't actually get to the River Walk. Sydney was so overwhelmed by the heat, she threw up at the Alamo very soon after getting there. Later that afternoon, Anna passed out in the shower as a result of the heat and no food. The next day, we lost Hayden at Sea World for 10-15 minutes. His implants were off since we were on our way to the pool. Gotta tell you, I've never been so scared! Anna found him at the little kid pool, just having a ball. In fact, he got mad at me when I made him get out to put on sunscreen. That little stinker! Our last full day was spent in Fredericksburg. It was pleasant, hot and uneventful. Good times.


Once August hit, so did my new job as PTO president. What was I thinking of when I said yes? I said no for 5 months, then they catch me 1 month before our big spring fundraiser. I wasn't sleeping and was running on adrenaline for the longest time. I had no more strength to fight the growing campaign to get me to say yes. So I succumbed to the pressure. And now I'm paying for it. Well, it's just one year and Sydney is so proud her mommy is PTO President. I can't do as much at Anna's or Hayden's schools, but I'll still find time to fit them in.


School started on Monday. It was a little stressful trying to get everyone to 3 different schools, but we did it and the kids love it so far! Anna prays each night to God that she is so happy at Mitchell, her intermediate 5th & 6th grade school. Sydney loves that she's the first one home and has 20 minutes with me by herself. Hayden doesn't say he likes school, but his "bye Mom" as he gets on the bus is enough for me to know he's happy. Let's see how long the magic lasts!


Jason is up for a promotion at work. We are all very happy that he's gainfully employed. :)

My annual imaging happened in the last 2 weeks. I had an MRI 2 weeks ago and a mammogram on Monday. Apparently, the MRI should something that they needed to follow up on. Wasn't happy to hear that, but it ended up being fat necrosis, which isn't uncommon following the surgeries I've had. No action needs to be taken and I'm still cancer free.

No comments: