Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wild West Road Trip - Day 1

Ah, I'm relaxing in our lovely hotel room after our first day of driving. My sweet angels are all fast asleep and I'm able to plan tomorrow's trip.




We started the day not knowing whether we'd leave today or tomorrow. Hayden was either sad because he's realizing he can't hear without his implant on or he wasn't feeling good. I still don't know. We made a solid attempt to give him his pain meds, but I'd be surprised if any actually stayed in his body. The Tylenol with codeine really tastes nasty. Jason and I agreed that if he felt better by mid-morning, we'd go. Well, he was back to normal within 30 minutes. So, we loaded up the car, made sure we had everything, and pulled out of the driveway at 11:05 am. A quick stop to the store, then gas, and we were on our way.


The kids and I haven't been to Jason's new office yet, so we decided that would be our first adventure of the trip. We stopped by, saw his office, and went to have lunch. We got to say our last goodbyes to Jason and finally, we were officially on the road at 2 pm. I planned the first day to be an easy drive, only 5 hours. Junction, TX is between San Antonio and El Paso on I10. The drive is a nice one, going through part of the Texas Hill Country. Plus, we can see most of the sites while going 80 mph! Gotta love that!

We only stopped twice between Houston and Junction. The 1st was to console Hayden after his short nap and then a potty break at a rest stop before San Antonio. I love that some rest stops are putting in play areas for kids. The only problem we had was that it was 105 so it was really to hot to play on. The kids got to run around for a minute then back to the car and AC.

All 3 kids did pretty well today. I'm hoping our drive tomorrow will go as well. The plan is to be in Albuquerque by 7ish tomorrow night. It should be doable. I've just got to have lots of opportunities for the kids to run around. Wish us luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo! Yehaw, giddyyap and all that to ya. Can hardly wait to see you. Call us when you get a chance... I forgot to ask where you're staying and all that(we've got floor space and a Target for inflatable mattresses np!) & can we bring a cake Sunday? Want some mommy-rest? We can go get our hair or nails done while the kids play at the house... lots of whaddayawannas;) Love you; have a safe & fun rest of your drive. TTYS ~Heather